Christmas Safety Guide for your pets to keep them safe, happy and healthy during the festive season.
WATCH WHAT THEY EAT
Items that look harmless on our lunch plate are not so innocent in our pets’ bowl. No cooked bones, fat trimmings, chocolate, nuts or onions! Although it might seem natural to give a dog a bone, it is very dangerous, as it can be a choking hazard, and even splinter and cause an obstruction or laceration in your dog’s digestive system. Don’t let your pet indulge just because its Christmas.
KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE TREE
Pine tree needles, mistletoe, plastic Christmas trees, tinsel, baubles, and glitter, are all innocent in appearance, yet dangerously poisonous to our pets. These can cause mouth irritation, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, difficulty breathing, collapse, hallucinations and possibly death when ingested.
LIGHTS LIGHTS LIGHTS
If you are putting up Christmas lights or lighting candles, make sure they are out of reach for our pets. Electrical cords seem like very good chew toys to our pets, however we know how dangerous they can be if they were to chew on a live cord. Candles can also be easily tipped over and hot wax can spill, so best to keep those out of harms way.
DRESS THEM CAREFULLY
Many of us love to dress up our pets to have them looking in the Christmas spirit, but it is important to avoid outfits with ribbon, bells, or any dangly, detachable item that your pet could rip off and choke on. If you are going to dress your pet, make sure you don’t have them dressed for too long. Christmas is typically a hot day in Australia so our pets won’t enjoy the extra layer for too long, and we don’t want to make their bodies work too hard to stay cool.